|CLASS CODE:||PE 341||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||EXERCISE & SPORTS SCIENCE|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||To explore the concepts, competencies, ideas, ideals, and principles of teaching or coaching baseball fundamentals.|
|TAUGHT:||Winter, Summer, Fall|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||This course is designed to assist the teacher/prospective coach to explore the concepts, competencies, ideas, ideals, and principles of teaching or coaching baseball fundamentals. Quest coaches may be asked to conduct some of the clinic instruction. The focus of this course will be to give the student the tools needed to teach/coach the techniques and fundamentals of baseball including batting, fielding, base running, etc. Upon completion of this course, students should be able to contribute positively to a coaching staff.|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||The student will:
1. Develop a philosophy of offensive and defensive baseball.
2. Gain an exhibit an understanding of various coaching responsibilities and team organizational procedures of baseball.
3. Become acquainted with and exhibit a variety of coaching methods, techniques and philosophies
4. Learn and exhibit the importance of planning and scheduling meetings, practices, games, play insertions, etc.
5. Learn and exhibit the part-to-whole method of teaching skills
|REQUIREMENTS:||The student will:
1. Learn through lecture and discussion
2. Attend class and participate
3. Pass written tests and quizzes
4. Written papers/projects approved or assigned by instructor
|PREREQUISITES:||Must have a knowledge and skills of baseball.|
|OTHER:||Class meets two days a week for lecture|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2003|