|CLASS CODE:||PE 343||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||EXERCISE & SPORTS SCIENCE|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||To explore the concepts, competencies, ideas, ideals and principles of teaching or coaching football fundamentals.|
|TAUGHT:||Winter, Summer, Fall|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||This course is designed to assist the teacher/prospective coach to explore the concepts, ideas, and principles of teaching or coaching fooball fundamentals. The course will be taught like a football clinic in which each student will participate. The focus of this course will be to give the student the tools needed to teach/coach the techniques and fundamentals of football such as offense, defense, kicking, practice schedules, strategies, training methods, position and team drills. Upon completion of this course, students should be able to contribute positively to a coaching staff.|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||The student will:
1. Develop and exhibit a philosophy of offensive and defensive football.
2. Gain and exhibit an understanding of various coaching responsibilities and team organization procedures.
3. Become acquainted with and exhibit a knowledge of a variety of coaching methods, techniques and philosophies.
4. Learn the importance of planning and scheduling meetings, practices, games, play insertions, etc.
4. Learn and exhibit the part-to-whole method of teaching skills.
|REQUIREMENTS:||The student will:
1. Attend each class and participate
2. Students will be responsible for all readings and assignments during semester.
3. Two assigned papers: an offensive or defensive philosophy and a play book.
4. Be responsible for an Oral/written Report
5. Learn through lecture, discussion, demonstration, chalk talk, videos
6. Pass exams
|PREREQUISITES:||Must have knowledge and skills of football.|
|OTHER:||Class will meet twice a week|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2003|