|CLASS CODE:||PE 342||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||EXERCISE & SPORTS SCIENCE|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||To explore the concepts, competencies, ideas, ideals and principles of teaching or coaching basketball fundamentals.
|TAUGHT:||Winter, Summer, Fall|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||This course is designed to assist the teacher/prospective coach to explore the concepts, ideas, and principles of teaching or coaching basketball fundamentals. This course will be taught like a basketball clinic in which each student will participate. The focus of this course will be to give the student the tools needed to teach/coach the techniques and fundamentals of basketall such as shooting, drilling, defense, rebounding, and passing with drills for each. Upon completion of this course, students should be able to contribute positively to a coaching staff.|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||The student will:
1. Develop and exhibit a philosophy of offensive and defensive basketball.
2. Gain and exhibit an understanding of coaching responsibilities and team organization procedures of basketball
3. Become acquainted with and exhibit knowledge of a variety of coaching methods, techniques, and philosophies.
4. Learn and exhibit the importance of planning and scheduling meetings, practices, game plans, etc.
5. Learn and exhibit the part-to-whole method of teaching skills
|REQUIREMENTS:||The student will:
1. Attend each class and participate
2. A notebook consisting of notes taken in class, a statement of student's philosophy, the first week of practice schedule, and setting up a week of summer camp for elementary children.
3. Each student will explain and teach a segment to class.
4. Learn through lecture, demonstration, class discussion, videos, chalk talk, guest speakers
5. Write and turn in a philosophy paper and practice schedules
6. Pass exams
|PREREQUISITES:||Must have knowledge and skills of basketball.|
|OTHER:||Class will meet two days per week|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2003|