|CLASS CODE:||PE 110||CREDITS: 1||FEE: $4.00|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||EXERCISE & SPORTS SCIENCE|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||To introduce the student to the sport of fencing through experience with the French foil and introduction to the ‘Epee.'|
|TAUGHT:||Winter, Summer, Fall|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||This course teaches the basic beginning skills, technique, drills are used for offense and defense of fencing. Terms for foil are taught. Activity requires aerobic endurance and flexibility to execute the skills.|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||The student will:
1. Acquire a sense of self-control and self-discipline
2. Learn etiquette and terms
3. Increase courage and dedication to sport of fencing
4. Gain a knowledge of physical conditioning through fencing
5. Learn and exhibit knowledge of terms and muscles used
6. Improve flexibility of body and correct skills
7. Develop and exhibit skills of fundamentals, rules, and strategies of teaching fencing
8. Gain ability to organize a tournament: directing, judging, and score keeping.
|REQUIREMENTS:||The student will:
1. Receive instruction through lecture, demonstration and video.
2. Organize tournaments
3. Pass quizzes, skills and written tests
4. Participate in fencing tournaments
5. Attend class, observe, and participate
|OTHER:||1. Two unexcused absences allowed
2. four or more absences will result in automatic failure.
3. Pass/Failure grade is available with less than four absences.
4. BYU-I clothing is required
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2004|