|CLASS CODE:||PE 101||CREDITS: 1||FEE: $4.00|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||EXERCISE & SPORTS SCIENCE|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||A type of exercise using resistance in water.|
|TAUGHT:||Winter, Summer, Fall|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Aerobic fitness through use of resistance in the water. A variety of water fitness activities will be used. Water circuit training is one of the main activities. Heart rate measurements will be taken to determine the intensity of the workout.|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||Students will learn and exhibit:
1. Knowledge of terms, basic muscles, and major muscle groups
2. Ability to teach water aerobics
3. Improve cardiovascular endurance and develop good exercise habits
4. Knowledge of weight control through exercise and proper nutrition
5. Improve flexibility of body and aerobic fitness
6. Knowledge and skill of fundamentals of water aerobics.
|REQUIREMENTS:||The student will:
1. Learn by getting into the water and through participation
2. Learn through lectures, videos and demonstrations
3. Attend class and participate
4. Pass skills tests, tread test, and written tests
|OTHER:||1. Two unexcused absences allowed
2. Four absences will result in automatic failure.
3. Pass/Fail grade is available with less than four absences.
4. BYU-Idaho clothing is requird.
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2004|