|Fitness for Life|
|FIT FOR LIFE|
|CLASS CODE:||PE 177||CREDITS: 1|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||EXERCISE & SPORTS SCIENCE|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course fulfills a General Education - Basic Skills requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||To teach students to prepare a personal fitness program including nutrition, strength and flexibility.|
|TAUGHT:||Winter, Summer, Fall|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||This class is for students of all abilities. Lectures will be given on preparing a fitness program, aerobic exercises, nutrition, stress, and strength and flexibility programs. All students must fulfill an eight-week personalized fitness contract consisting of at least four exercise sessions a week.|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||The student will:
1. Develop a higher respect for human body and commit to healthy lifestyle.
2. Learn how to plan a personalized fitness program.
3. Raise level of endurance and cardiovascular conditioning to make student aware of individual strengths and flexibility level.
4. Improve strength level, flexibility, and relieve stress using cardiovascular contracts.
5. Learn about proper nutrition to eat and feel better through nutritional analysis.
6. Learn a proper weight reduction and maintenance program.
7. Increase self-esteem through self-improvement activities.
|REQUIREMENTS:||The student will:
1. Learn through lecture, videos, reading assignments, discussion
2. Will attend class and participate in exercise training, activity days
3. Keep weekly exercise contract log and submit to instructor
4. Do pre and post test/runs, written tests, and skill tests, group oral reports and computer nutrition evaluation and nutritional analysis
5. Pass five Chapter Tests - optional per instructor - with 80% or above
|OTHER:||1. Two unexcused absences allowed.
2. Four or more absences will result in automatic failure.
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2004|