|CLASS CODE:||PE 268||CREDITS: 3||FEE: $4.00|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||EXERCISE & SPORTS SCIENCE|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||To teach potential swimming instructors fundamentals of instructor training.|
|TAUGHT:||Winter, Summer, Fall|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||The student will:
1. Perfect front crawl, back crawl, breast, side, elementary back strokes, butterfly, and other aquatic skills
2. Develop sufficient skills to become an effective instructor
3. Develop knowledge to become an effective instructor
|REQUIREMENTS:||The student will:
1. Wear BYU-I clothing.
2. Learn from discussion, demonstration, drills, videos, interaction
3. Receive individual assistance
4. Pass test skills and written exam
5. Attend class and participate
6. Teach assigned sessions
7. Write lesson plan
|PREREQUISITES:||Intermediate or advanced swimming skills.|
|OTHER:||1. Two unexcused absences allowed.
2. Four or more absences will result in automatic failure.
3. Pass/Fail grade availaable with less than four absences
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2004|