|CLASS CODE:||AGRON 435||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||AGRICULTURAL AND LIFE SCIENCES|
|DEPARTMENT:||AGRICULTURE BUSINESS SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Basic understanding and practical application of potato production. Become more knowledgeable of potato management.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||* Understanding and practical application of potato production. The course includes lectures, field study and outside the classroom experiences to enable the student to become more knowledgeable of potato management.
* Soil preparation.
* Irrigation management.
* Weed control.
* Processing, breeding and marketing of the potato.
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Understand importance of seed, seed production and seed selection in preparation for growing potatoes.
2. Understand soil preparation, planting, fertilization and irrigation of the potato crop.
3. Proper identification and working knowledge of potato pests including weeds, insects, diseases and proper management of these pests.
4. Gain competence of pre-harvest, harvest, and storage of the crop.
5. Be familiar with available resources for marketing the crop.
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|