|Experiential Education/Adventure Challenge Leadership|
|EXP ED/AD CHAL|
|CLASS CODE:||RL 343||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||BUSINESS & COMMUNICATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||The design and facilitation of experiential learning activities. Emphasis on leadership and teambuilding.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||The design and implementation of experiential learning activities. A teaching practicum is included in class. The purpose of this course is to bring the student to a level of understanding and ability to facilitate experiential learning, design valid and reliable experiential activities, evaluate for educative worth, weigh the instructional mix with a variety of outcome types (i.e. affective, cognitive, psycho-motor) and assess the limitations of experiential education. Once a philosophical basis for teaching and learning has been established, the course will turn its attentions from theory to practice.|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:|| 1. Identify the value of experience and the theoretical underpinnings of experiential education.
2. Bring into focus selected theories of teaching and learning, to assist the student in the building of their own educational philosophy as it applies to outdoor education/recreation.
3. Turn from a teacher centered curriculum to that of a student centered one.
4. Expose unused resources in the development of alternative learning environments.
|REQUIREMENTS:||1. Personal Experiential Education Model
2. 15 Critical Analysis
3. Behavioral Objective
4. Lesson Plans & Activiites
5. Teaching Presentations in class
6. Practicum Hours outside of class are required
7. Philosophy of Education Paper
8. Final Exam
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2002|