|CLASS CODE:||AGRON 486||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||AGRICULTURAL AND LIFE SCIENCES|
|DEPARTMENT:||AGRICULTURE BUSINESS SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||A fundamental field class in precision agriculture, using global satellite positioning, satellite GPS, and GIS mapping, along with agronomic technologies to quantify limiting factors to crop yields|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Precision Ag is about using GIS (Global Information Systems). It is a fundamental field class using global satellite positioning and GIS mapping, along with agronomic technologies to quantify limiting factors to crop yields. The software utilized for this class will be ESRI products and SS Tool Box products and others as developed.
* Land use mapping.
* Ag industry and other commercial applications.
* Data collections and hand held computers.
* Turning GIS and GPS into your business.
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Computerize accurate field mapping for growers.
2. Use of mapping technology to minimize fertilizer run off and other production inputs that may contaminate streams, rivers and lakes.
3. Appreciate and understand satellite systems.
4. Use a random field grid establishment for accurate soil sampling.
5. Use field and nutrient mapping to maximize effects for application of fertilizer, herbicides and insecticides.
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|