|Intro to Livestock Production|
|INT LVSTK PROD|
|CLASS CODE:||AS 150||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||AGRICULTURAL AND LIFE SCIENCES|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Overview of various livestock enterprises, including beef, dairy, sheep, swine and horse industries. Basic principles used in the various industries are presented. Emphasis given to current and future trends in animal science.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||*Meat and milk products
*Market for livestock
*Livestock reproduction and genetic principles
*Nutrition and health principles
*Individual species husbandry practices
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Become aware of the world-wide state of agriculture
2. Learn the structures and nutrient requirements of ruminant and non-ruminant livestock digestive systems.
3. Identify basic reproductive anatomy and genetics of livestock.
4. Understand the place of selection, mating, AI and ET in livestock operations.
5. Understand principles of lactation, behavior and health guides.
6. Discuss current issues in ag and recognize opposing views.
7. Understand impact of vertical integration in poultry, pork and beef.
8. Identify basic management principles of beef, dairy, horses, poultry, sheep and pigs.
9. Identify career options and preparation for work.
10. Become acquainted with concepts of sustainable agriculture.
11. Develop writing and research skills to answer a question CSE documentation format.
12. Consider new ideas or strategies involving animal agriculture.
|OTHER:||Several out-of-classroom fieldtrips to livestock enterprises are provided.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2002|