|Feeds & Nutrition|
|CLASS CODE:||AS 220||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||AGRICULTURAL AND LIFE SCIENCES|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||The study of the principles of animal nutrition and the application of those principles as applied to digestion, metabolism and absorption.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||*Nutrition and nutrients
*Energy - carbohydrates, lipids
*Minerals - macro, micro
*Nutrient intake and animal requirements
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Become aware of nutrients, nutrients requirements and nutrient availablity.
2. Identify basic gastro-intestinal anatomy and the functin of the various organs.
3. Identify the importance of nutrient utilization as affected by organs, glands and specialized structures of the gastro-intestinal tract.
4. Identify nutrient availability of various feedstuffs as related to nutrient digestion and utilization.
5. Gain knowledge and understanding of nutrient metabolism and catabolism as applied to the various required nutrients.
6. Identify the various factors affecting nutrient consumption.
|PREREQUISITES:||Math 110 & Chem 105|
|OTHER:||Several out-of-classroom fieldtrips to livestock enterprises will be provided.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2002|