|CLASS CODE:||AS 320||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||AGRICULTURAL AND LIFE SCIENCES|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Designed for students interested in pursuing a career in beef feedlot management or other related agribusiness areas.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||*Shipping and receiving cattle
*Creating diets and balancing rations
*Shipping finished cattle
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Become aware of the various career opportunities in the feedlot industry.
2. Learn marketing techniques for purchasing feeder cattle.
3. Understand the basic factors involved in the selection of profitable feeder cattle.
4. Understand the impact of proper feed management techniques.
5. Recognize and learn the importance of feedstuff selection and management.
6. Understand nutrient management techniques of both feed inputs and manure outputs.
7. Gain an understanding of nutritional disorders and their impact on cattle performance.
8. Identify methods of marketing finished cattle and the tools used to evaluate finished cattle.
|OTHER:||Several out-of-classroom fieldtrips to livestock enterprises will be provided.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2003|