|CLASS CODE:||AS 420||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||AGRICULTURAL AND LIFE SCIENCES|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Practical application of livestock feeding practices, including feed analysis, management, and ration formulation. Exposure to current technologies and emerging livestock feeding concepts.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||*Analytical methods
*Current technology and trends
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Become aware of the various nutrient requirements for the major livestock species (cattle, horses, sheep, swine and dairy).
2. Learn international feedstuff classifications.
3. Understand the basic factors involved in the selection and purchase of feedstuffs.
4. Understand the impact that various feedstuffs and processing techniques have on animal performance.
5. Recognize the importance and use of feed additives.
6. Recognize commonly used feedstuffs.
7. Understand feed labeling laws and their application in the feeding industry.
8. Understand ration balancing techniques and their application in the feeding industry.
|OTHER:||Several out-of-classroom fieldtrips to livestock enterprises will be provided|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2002|