|Draft Horses - for Work and Pleasure|
|CLASS CODE:||AS 248||CREDITS: 2||FEE: $40.00|
|DIVISION:||AGRICULTURAL AND LIFE SCIENCES|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||This course is to prepare students to safely hitch and drive a variety of horse drawn vehicles with draft animals for work or recreational purposes. The course will prepare students for future employment and personal enjoyment. The students will learn about draft animals, harnesses, hitching horse-drawn vehicles and the principles of driving techniques.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||*Horses
*Anatomy and fundamentals of horse care
*Hitch and rigging gear
*Principles of driving
*Breaking and training draft animals
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Students will understand Gospel Principles associated with using and working draft animals and be encouraged to apply them in their lives.
2. Demonstrate how to properly approach and safely handle, harness, hitch and drive draft animals.
3. Become familiar with the anatomy and breeds of large draft horses.
4. Understand the harness part names and part of equipment used in draft horse operations.
5. Understand how to properly feed and care for draft animals.
6. Demonstrate how to safely and politely assist those guests they would take on wagon rides.
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2003|