|CLASS CODE:||FAML 460||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||CHILD & FAMILY STUDIES|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Societal changes impacting the meaning and function of families and marriages. Influences of media, government, education, and religion on the family. Gospel writings related to family decline. Implications for responsible civic involvement aimed at strengthening the family in society.|
|TAUGHT:||Fall, Winter, every other Summer|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||1. Family Decline/Change
2. Definition of family/Language
3. Cohabitation, civil unions, domestic partnerships
4. Same-sex marriages and adoptions
5. Impact of divorce and single-parent families
6. Covenant marriage
7. Day care
8. Are fathers essential?
9. Marriage policy, covenant marriage
10. Reproductive rights, abortion
11. Parental rights, children's rights
12. Media issues impacting families
13. International issues impacting families
14. Aware, informed, responsible citizenship
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Become an aware, informed citizen by discovering, summarizing and documenting key family change issues and events, including examples of involved citizens.
2. Become a responsible citizen by actively participating in current family change issues.
3. Discover gospel writings relevant to family change issues.
|REQUIREMENTS:||1. Daily written summaries of issues' reading assignments
2. Occassional quizzes on specific reading assignments
3. Collection of current issues and events and gospel writings relating to family change issues.
4. Written evidence of citizenship involvement.
5. Collection of involved citizen examples.
6. Documentation of class involvement and preparation with daily class journal writing and class notes.
7. Participation in class discussion, especially on issues and events sharing days.
8. Final paper, binder and exit interview.
|PREREQUISITES:||Junior or Senior standing|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2002|