Academic Policies




Registrar's Office

The Registrar's Office processes all student records after the Admissions Office has accepted the student. Registration, graduation, and the handling and dispersing of all forms that affect student records are processed by the Registrar's Office. Transcripts are posted here and mailed out upon written request from the student.




Transcript Requests

Transcripts of an academic record cannot be requested over the telephone or by e-mail. Transcripts may be requested by going to the Registrar's Office and present photo ID. If requesting a transcript by mail or fax, the following information must be included: Full name and all names used while attending Brigham Young University-Idaho, U.S. Social Security Number (the Brigham Young University-Idaho ID number), date of birth, dates of attendance, current mailing address, and the address where the transcript is to be mailed. The request must include the student’s signature. The Registrar's Office fax number is (208) 496-1035. A request may also be made via the Registration System at


Full-Time Student Status

Students must be registered for 12 credit hours to be considered full-time. Full-time status is required for international students and for full Pell Grant award, Stafford Student Loan, SLS, PLUS, and private scholarship recipients, as well as those desiring on-campus employment, health insurance coverage, Social Security benefits, or full Veterans' benefits. This status is also required in order to run for student government offices and fulfill major appointive offices in student government. The full-time equivalency for Block registration is 6 credit hours.


Attendance and Absence from Class

Students are responsible for class attendance. No absences, whether approved by the University for participation in University-sponsored activities or necessitated by sickness or other personal emergencies, are "excused" in the sense that the student is relieved from class work assigned during the absence. To ensure continuity, students must make up missed work. In most cases, repeated absences will result in a lower grade or failure.


Adding and Dropping Classes

After classes begin, changes in registration can be made using a touch-tone phone or the Internet registration system. If a student wishes to add a class that is full, he or she needs to contact the course instructor and the instructor will add the student if there is space in the class. The student is responsible for dropping his or her own classes. A fee of $5 per drop is assessed at specified deadlines each semester.  Exceptions to the change are only approved when extenuating circumstances prevented timely drop.


Instructor-Initiated Drop Policy

Students in Audition Courses. In courses requiring an audition, the instructor will initiate a drop for those students not selected. These administrative drops will be processed without penalty and must be filed by the instructor with the Registrar's Office no later than the tenth class day of the semester.

Students who do not attend the first two class periods. Students in high-demand courses, i.e., English, religion, etc., who do not attend the first two classes (or first evening class) may be dropped by the instructor and replaced with another student. In some instances, such action may jeopardize financial aid or health insurance eligibility. In such cases, Brigham Young University-Idaho assumes no responsibility. 

Students who have attended at least one class period are not subject to this policy. Students who have registered but have no intention of successfully completing a course should officially drop the course rather than risking an "F" or “UW” by assuming the instructor will process an administrative drop.

Ultimately, it is the student's responsibility to drop his or her own class using the touch-tone phone or Internet registration system.  Student may contact the Registrar’s Office for assistance.


Withdrawal from School

Beginning the first day of classes, any student who drops all classes to a zero credit level will be considered withdrawn from the University.  Dropping all classes with only audit classes remaining will also be considered withdrawn.



Dropping all classes online, by telephone, or at an on-campus site.  Students who withdraw by these means are warned of the withdrawal status implications and informed of their responsibilities.



Contacting the Registrar's Office at (208) 496-1003
















The withdrawal date is the day the class (credit) was dropped to zero unless otherwise approved by the Registrar's Office.  Any exception (e.g., student never came to school, extenuating illness, etc.), must be presented to the Registrar's Office for evaluation (i.e., contact of instructors to verify attendance, requirement of physician report, etc.), and approval.  All withdrawal date adjustments will be communicated to the Accounting Office and Financial Aid Office by the Registrar's Office.  Adjusted dates will be documented by the Registrar's Office.
















Students who withdraw will be considered as discontinuing their attendance at BYU-Idaho and will lose their continuing student status unless they apply for deferral status prior to the designated deadline.  Exceptions will be determined by the Admissions Office and must meet one or more of the following criteria:



Medical circumstances










Family emergencies










Other extraordinary circumstances









Students with medical reasons for withdrawal must present physician documentation. This statement must include an anticipated date of return to be eligible for deferral to future semesters within a one-year period.


If a student does not meet the above non-academic criteria and desires to return the next semester, he or she must submit an “Enrollment Deferment.” Otherwise, his or her enrollment status will discontinue and he or she is required to reapply. To defer enrollment without reapplying, the following conditions must be met. Students must:


Be admitted as a regular day school student the semester prior to requesting deferment.


Be admissible to BYU-Idaho.


Submit the “Continuing Student Enrollment Deferment Application” before the application deadline of the semester the student wishes to return.






NOTE: This deferment is for one semester only. Students must re-enroll at the university in their assigned track semester immediately following their absences. Students who plan to interrupt their studies for more than one semester should contact the Admissions Office for appropriate reapplication materials. Students leaving to serve LDS missions should ask the Admissions Office for an “LDS Missionary Admission Deferment Application.”

Students who withdraw from Brigham Young University-Idaho after the last day to withdraw from school without receiving grades earned will have those grades recorded on their academic record.


Exceptions to University Policy

Students wishing to appeal any Brigham Young University-Idaho academic policy must submit a petition to the Exceptions to University Policy Committee through the Registrar's Office. These situations may include dropping classes or withdrawing from school after published deadlines. Only Brigham Young University-Idaho policies can be appealed; federal guidelines and/or requirements cannot be appealed through this committee.




Probation, Suspension, Re-admission, and Dismissal

Students’ academic standing at Brigham Young University-Idaho is determined by two measures of their work. One is their GPA (grade point average) and the other is the satisfactory progress toward graduation they make in completing those courses for which they have registered.  Grades are considered to be either "progress" grades or "non-progress" grades. "Progress" grades range from a D- to an A; "non-progress" grades are F, W, and UW.  Please note that some progress grades do not meet graduation requirements.


Satisfactory Academic Standing

Students are making satisfactory academic progress when their cumulative GPA is 2.0 or above and when more than 75 percent of their final grades in their most recent semester are "progress" grades. The 75 percent policy is tracked only for full-time (12 or more credits) students; it is not tracked for Second Block students or non-track Semester students.


Academic Probation

Students will be placed on academic probation when their cumulative GPA (including transfer courses) is between 1.00 and 1.99 or when their progress is below 75 percent in their most recent semester.

If, while on probation, students complete the next semester/term with a 2.0 or better (calculated on 12 earned semester credits/6 block or Summer Term credits), but do not raise their cumulative GPAs to a 2.0 or better, they will continue on probation rather than being placed on suspension. Students will be removed from probation only when their cumulative GPA reaches 2.0 or higher.

When students are placed on probation, they should contact their faculty advisor immediately. It is also recommended that they take advantage of the resources in the Study Skills Lab, Reading Lab, Writing Center, and Tutoring Center.

If students are receiving university or federal financial aid, they should check with the Financial Aid Office to see if they are still eligible.  Students on probation are ineligible for campus employment, unless approved by the Student Employment Office.


Academic Suspension

One or more of three situations will cause students to be placed on academic suspension:


When their first semester/term, or any                  subsequent semester/term, GPA is below 1.0.




When on academic probation, they fail to bring their cumulative GPA to 2.0 or above,   or they fail to receive at least a 2.0 GPA for the semester/term (with 12 credits/6 credits).




When they fail to achieve 75 percent satisfactory progress in two consecutive semesters.


Suspended students are denied continued enrollment at Brigham Young University-Idaho. Therefore, if students are suspended and desire to return to Brigham Young University-Idaho, they must meet the provisions for re-admission as explained below.  Students may petition suspension decisions to the Academic Standards Committee.

If they have pre-registered and/or paid any tuition for a subsequent semester/term, they must withdraw from school and arrange for a tuition refund.



After being placed on academic suspension, two conditions for readmission must be met:


Students on academic suspension are not to be allowed to return to BYU-Idaho for a minimum of twelve months.  Students may not apply for readmission until the entire twelve months have been completed.  For example, if a student was suspended in December 2004, the earliest application for readmission is Winter Semester 2006.  Reapplication must coincide with assigned tracks.




Students will be allowed to return only if they have completed 12 semester (18 quarter) credits with a 2.0 GPA at another college or university; or if they have completed a full-time mission for the Church. (BYU-Idaho Continuing Education credits do not meet the above criteria.)


Academic Dismissal

Students who have been academically suspended from BYU-Idaho for a second time are usually placed on academic dismissal. A student’s academic history will be carefully reviewed by the Academic Standards Committee, and school officials may determine that a student has exhausted any opportunities to study and progress academically at BYU-Idaho. If wishing to continue a formal education, the student will need to seek other options.





Credits Earned

Credits may be earned and recorded at BYU-Idaho in accordance with the following provisions:


In residence - Consists of attendance in regular school classes or extension classes in established residence centers for which a passing grade is received.




In non-residence - Consists of correspondence or extension work in non-residence centers. Total residence and non-residence hours may not exceed a normal level.


Credit Hour Limit for Degrees

The maximum number of credits students may earn at BYU-Idaho is 80 credit hours for an associate degree and 140 credit hours for a bachelor degree.  Students wishing to continue at BYU-Idaho must justify exceeding the 80-credit or 140-credit limit through a petition submitted to the Academic Standards Committee.  Students exceeding the credit limit are restricted from registration until approval is granted.  Students must present a graduation plan to the Academic Standards Committee for the petition.  Credits for language tests, transfer credits, AP and CLEP credits will normally not be calculated into the credit evaluation unless the credit is utilized to graduation requirements.  Exceptions are automatically made for students majoring in Nursing, Interior Design, and Paramedicine programs (Associate levels).


Special Examinations

Permission to earn credit by special examination must be obtained from the Department Chair involved. Application for credit by special examination may be made through the Registrar's Office.


Advanced Placement Policy

Students who complete an Advanced Placement course in high school and receive a grade of 3, 4, or 5 on the corresponding College Advanced Placement Examination may be granted up to 6 semester credits in that subject (see below).


Art: History of

ART 201




ART 202






Art: Studio Drawing

ART 102







BIO 100




BIO 150







CHEM 105




CHEM 106






Computer Science A

CS 102






Computer Science AB

CS 144




CS 102






Economics: Macro

ECON 111






Economics: Micro

ECON 112






English Lang/Comp

ENG 111*




ENG 120*






English Lit/Comp

ENG 111*




ENG 250






Environmental Science

BIO 250






French Language

FR 101




FR 102






French Literature

FR 201




FR 202






German Language

GER 101




GER 102






Gov. & Politics




United States

POLSC 104 (Gen)






Gov. & Politics





POLSC 104 (Gen)






History: U.S.

HIST 120




HIST 121






History: European

HIST 102




HIST 202






History:  World Hist

HIST 201




HIST 202






Latin: Vergil











Latin: Catullus-Hor












MATH 110



Calculus AB

MATH 111




MATH 112*







MATH 112*



Calculus BC

MATH 113






Music Theory







Physics B

PH 105*




PH 106*






Physics C:

PH 105*




PH 121






Physics C:

PH 106*



Elec & Mag

PH 220













Spanish Language

SPAN 101




SPAN 102






Spanish Literature

SPAN 201




SPAN 202







MATH 221



*Will show as a repeat if both sections were passed.


College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Students may receive university credit for CLEP exams as specified on the approved list in the Testing Center. To receive credit, a student must score a minimum of 61 on the English general exam, 50 on the other general exam (with the exception of Math), and 50 on a subject exam. Earned credit hours will be posted as CLEP credit with a "P" grade. Such credit may not be converted to a letter grade or correlated with an existing Brigham Young University-Idaho course.


NOTE: BYU will not accept CLEP scores below 61. Students intending to transfer credit by examination should check with potential institutions for specific credit-by-exam transfer policies.


Vertical Credit

Subject to Department Chair approval, students who have earned a grade of “C” or better in a class taken at Brigham Young University-Idaho for which there are prerequisite course(s) they have not taken, may be given credit and a “pass” grade for the prerequisite course(s). To apply, students must consult the appropriate Department Chair. If he or she approves, an application may be picked up at the Registrar’s Office where a credit fee will be assessed. The fee is $15 for 0.5 to 3.0 credits, with an additional $5 per credit. Although vertical credit counts toward total credit requirements for graduation, no grade is given toward GPA computation.


Grading System

Grades are determined by each instructor based upon an evaluation of all assigned and completed course work. Classroom/laboratory participation, mastery of subject matter, and promise of continuing success in sequential courses in related fields are all criteria used to evaluate progress.

·         "A" is an honor grade indicating superior achievement.

·         "B" is an honor grade indicating commendable achievement.

·         "C" indicates satisfactory achievement.

·         "D" indicates substandard progress and insufficient evidence of ability to succeed in sequential courses.

·         "W" indicates a withdrawal from the class. However, if the class is dropped during the first 29 calendar days of a semester, or the first 15 calendar days of a block,  no annotation will be made on the permanent academic record.

·         “UW” indicates an unofficial withdrawal which is given to student who meets the following criteria: Did not complete proper withdrawal procedures; has record of non-attendance; did not complete any work, tests, or class-related assignments after attendance ceased; or the record of non-attendance did not begin after the last date to drop class without grade earned.  The “UW” is calculated into the GPA as a failing grade (0.0) grade value.

·         "F" indicates a failure to master pertinent information or skills.

·         “I” is a conditional grade.

NOTE: The following table indicates each grade variant at Brigham Young University-Idaho with its equivalent grade points:


One Credit of

Equals Grade Points
















































Incomplete Grades

An incomplete grade (“I” grade) is a conditional grade only granted under the following circumstances:


Extenuating circumstances (serious illness, personal injury, death in immediate family, etc.) that occurred after the twelfth week of a semester or the sixth week of a block or summer term and hindered class work.




The student must be able to complete the remaining work on an individual basis with the instructor.  Re-enrollment cannot be a required criteria.




The student must have a “passing” grade at the time of petitioning for the incomplete grade. It is not a substitute for a failing grade.




Teacher approval is mandatory.


Fees and special instructions are available at the Registrar’s Office.


Audit Policy

Tuition for audit classes is assessed on the same basis as for credit classes.  Students may not change class status from audit to credit after the deadline to withdraw from a class without earning a “W”.

Departments have the right to refuse to allow audit students to occupy class space.  Any audit block must be reported by the Department Chair to the Registrar’s Office prior to the beginning of registration for each semester.

Students who audit a class are not responsible for attendance, daily preparations or examinations, and no grade is reported or recorded on the permanent record.  An “I” grade may not be made up by repeating the class as an audit.

Registered students who drop all credit classes and only have audit class(es) remaining are considered withdrawn from the University effective the latest drop date of the non-audit class(es).  Students will need to re-apply through the Admissions Office for the next semester.  Compliance with deadlines is required, unless a deferment is obtained.


Pass/Fail Classes

Brigham Young University-Idaho offers a limited number of "Pass/Fail" classes. Students in these classes receive no letter grade; instead, they either pass or fail depending on whether or not they have met the class criteria. All pass credits count toward graduation, but are not included in GPA calculations.


Amounts of Credit per Term

Sixteen credit hours per semester are recommended for full-time students. Twenty-one credit hours is the recommended maximum. After advisor or Registrar approval, students may take more than 21 credits per semester or over 10 credits per block. Half credits are charged the same as one full credit.


Class Periods

Regular semester class periods last fifty minutes. Regular semester laboratory periods run either two or three hours. Three hours of laboratory work or two hours of laboratory work, as well as one hour outside preparation per class hour per week are required for one semester credit hour.


Repeat Classes

Repeat classes allow a class to be taken two or more times for additional credit.  Most classes at BYU-Idaho are not repeatable for credit.  Departments establish the maximum number of times a class can be repeated.  A class repeated does not replace the former grade or credit of a previously completed class.


Retake Classes

Retake classes replace the credit and grade of a previously completed equivalent course.  The most recent completed course is calculated into the GPA and earned credits.  Previous courses remain on the transcript and are designated as retake classes.


Students are allowed a maximum of four retakes during their BYU-Idaho study, regardless of whether it is a retake of a class with an awarded grade or a “withdrawal."  Exceptions are considered on a case-by-case basis.  Petitions are available at the Registrar’s Office.  Retakes occur when retaking BYU-Idaho classes previously completed at this University, or retaking a class at BYU-Idaho previously completed at another institution which has been determined to be an equivalent course by the applicable academic department.


Retake of BYU-Idaho classes at another institution is not recognized as a retake unless approved by the Exceptions to University Policy Committee.


Students who transfer must recognize that a transfer institution may not accept the retake class per this definition.


Academic Renewal

Under certain circumstances, Brigham Young University-Idaho allows students to petition for academic renewal. If approved, this eliminates previous poor academic work, either at Brigham Young University-Idaho or elsewhere, from the student academic record. Before petitioning for academic renewal, the following conditions must be met:


A minimum of four years must have elapsed since the most recent course work to be disregarded was completed.




The student must have completed at least one semester at Brigham Young University-Idaho as a full-time student (12 credits or more) with a grade point average of at least 2.5.

If academic renewal is approved, the permanent academic record is annotated to indicate that no work taken during the disregarded semester(s), even if satisfactory, shall be applied toward graduation requirements. However, all work remains on the records to ensure a true and accurate academic history.

This policy may not be used for individual courses. Students intending to transfer to another institution should also be aware that this policy may not be accepted.

Academic renewal may be applied only once during an academic career at Brigham Young University-Idaho.


GPA Requirements

Students must be making satisfactory academic progress (2.0 GPA) to represent the school in extracurricular activities.


Credit Requirements

To be eligible for various benefits, honors, and activities, students must be enrolled in the hours indicated:


    14 semester credits (and a 3.7 GPA) -- Honor Roll.


    12 semester credits -- Brigham Young University-Idaho scholarships, full Veterans’ benefits, full Pell Grants, selected loans and grants, campus employment, athletic competition, Social Security benefits, running for student government offices or fulfilling major appointive offices in student government, health insurance coverage, international students, Stafford Student Loans, and SLS and PLUS loans.

    9.5 semester credits -- Student activity privileges and student voting.


Class Registration


Student registration for classes is by priority according to credit level.  Credits earned plus currently enrolled credits are calculated into the priority registration credit count.  If one misses their designated registration time, they may still register for classes, but risk less availability of class selection.  Students register for all classes offered during the semester regardless of the starting time for the class (i.e., second block classes).  Students starting on the second block of a semester register at the same time as all other students.


Summer semester registration is offered first to students on the Winter/Summer, Summer/Fall, and students with graduation application (Bachelor Degree) for that Summer Semester, on a credit priority basis.  Additional registration options for Fall/Winter track students will be announced annually.


Students should be aware of classes with special requirements such as proper major selection, credit limit, and prerequisite course completion.  There is no financial reimbursement if a student drops below a full-time credit load, unless there is a complete withdrawal from all classes.




A verification is proof of enrollment.  It shows the student’s personal information with name, date of birth, address, current dates of attendance, and history of attendance.  It also shows for which track he or she was accepted, if he or she has applied for graduation, or if he or she has graduated.  It is used for insurance purposes, loan deferments, scholarships, employers, government and legal offices, etc.


The Registrar’s Office receives requests through letters, phone calls, e-mails, faxes, and in person.  A student’s name, Student ID Number, and an address where to send or fax numbers are required.  Verification of student information such as attendance dates/degrees can be given verbally.  Many companies also want the insured’s name and group number entered on the verification.


GPA verifications need to be in writing, with the student’s signature, because of FERPA privacy laws.  Presentation of student identification at the Registrar’s Office is required.  Social Security numbers are not listed unless requested by the student.


All verifications other than verbal are signed by the Registrar and stamped with the University’s seal.



Registration and Payment Deadlines


The following deadlines are important for students to keep in mind.  Refer to the University Catalog and Class Schedule for specific dates for each semester.  Remember that payments must be in the Cashier’s Office by the deadline date:




Last day to drop classes without a charge of $5 per class dropped.


Final Payment deadline late charge is 5% of unpaid and related charges.


Insurance Payment Deadline.


Campus Housing payments (refer to housing contract).


Classes dropped after this day will appear on the transcript with a “W” grade.


Last day to drop full semester classes.


Last day to withdraw from school without receiving grades earned.



Graduation Catalog Requirement

  A student is responsible for the General Education and Major Requirements listed in any one Brigham Young University-Idaho Catalog (chosen by the student) from the year of first registration to the year of graduation, provided the Brigham Young University-Idaho Catalog chosen is not more than five years old.


Transfer from BYU-I

  As Brigham Young University - Idaho transitions to a four year school, pre-existing articulation agreements with other universities in Idaho and Utah remain in effect.


Transfer to BYU-I

 Brigham Young University - Idaho accepts college level courses from all regionally accredited schools.  Courses are  applied to specific general education and major requirements when it is determined by the transfer credit evaluation office that they are equivalent to BYU-I courses.  Students attending regionally accredited colleges from Utah and Idaho who complete the associate transfer degree will be considered as having completed the general education requirements.  If they have not completed the transfer degree their credit will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis.



Change of Major


Students are encouraged to select a major early in their academic program to effectively plan towards graduation.  Students change majors by going to the Career and Academic Advising Center or through the assigned academic advisor.  Students should carefully assess the impact of the major change by utilizing the graduation report and conferring with an advisor.  Previously approved waivers and substitutions may possibly not transfer to a newly selected major because of the individuality of the major requirements.


Students with earned credits of 75 or more will not be allowed to change a major without petition to the Academic Standards Committee.  The petition must illustrate the ability to efficiently complete the newly selected major.  An attached graduation plan indicates the remaining courses and planned schedule is required.


International Transcripts

Transcripts from international countries will not be evaluated until the following conditions are met:

  1. The student is an accepted student at BYU-Idaho.
  2. The student provides a transcript and course description of classes completed.
  3. All transcripts must be in English.  Translated versions will only be accepted when one of the following conditions are met:
    1. The sending university provides an English translation;
    2. The transcripts are translated by a translator and notarized as correct translations.
    3. Use of a private credential evaluation company.
  4. The student’s institution is recognized by its country’s governing board as an accredited institution, and it is of similar nature of a college or university level in the United States.  Institutions primarily focused on vocational and technical training would not generally be considered as transferable credit.


Once conditions are met, the transcript evaluator in the Registrar’s Office will evaluate courses for equivalency at Brigham Young University-Idaho.  Classes with failing grades will not be accepted.  Courses without an equivalent BYU-Idaho course will not be transferred to the University for credit consideration.  All grades are changed to pass or fail grades.  English classes taken outside of a United States university will not be accepted for meeting English requirements at BYU-Idaho.


Academic Honesty

BYU-Idaho students should seek to be totally honest in all their dealings. They should complete their own work and be evaluated for that work. They should avoid academic dishonesty and misconduct in all its forms, including but not limited to plagiarism, fabrication or falsification, cheating, and other academic misconduct.

Academic Dishonesty


Intentional Plagiarism is the deliberate act of representing the words, ideas, or data of another as one’s own without providing proper attribution to the original author through quotation, reference, or footnote.

Inadvertent Plagiarism involves the inappropriate, but non-deliberate, use of another’s words, ideas, or data without proper attribution. Although not a violation of the Honor Code, it is a form of academic misconduct for which an instructor can impose appropriate academic sanctions. Students who are in doubt as to whether they are providing proper attribution have the responsibility to consult with their instructor and obtain guidance.

Plagiarism may occur with respect to unpublished as well as published material. Examples include:

·         Direct Plagiarism. The verbatim copying of an original source without acknowledging the source.

·         Paraphrased Plagiarism. The paraphrasing of ideas, without attribution, from another, causing a  reader to mistake these ideas for the writer’s own.

·         Plagiarism Mosaic. The borrowing of words, ideas, or data from an original source and blending this original material with one's own writing, without acknowledging the source.

·         Insufficient Acknowledgment. The partial or incomplete attribution of words, ideas, or data from an original source.

Fabrication or Falsification A form of dishonesty where a student invents or distorts the origin or content of information used as authority. Examples include:

·         Citing a source that does not exist.

·         Citing information from a source that is not included in the source for which credit is given.

·         Citing a source for a secondary proposition that it does not support.

·         Citing a bibliography source when it was neither consulted nor cited in the body of the paper.

·         Intentionally distorting the meaning or applicability of data.

·         Inventing data or statistical results to support conclusions.

Cheating A form of dishonesty where a student attempts to give the appearance of a level of knowledge or skill that has not been obtained. Examples include:

·         Copying from another person’s work during an examination or while completing an assignment.

·         Allowing someone to copy from your work during an examination or while completing an assignment.

·         Using unauthorized materials during an examination or while completing an assignment.

·         Collaborating on an examination or assignment without authorization.

·         Taking an examination or completing an assignment for another, or permitting another to take an examination or to complete an assignment for you.

Other Academic Misconduct Includes other academically dishonest, deceitful, or inappropriate acts which are intentionally committed. Examples include but are not limited to:

·         Inappropriately providing or receiving information or academic work so as to gain unfair advantage over others.

·         Planning with another to commit any act of academic dishonesty.

·         Attempting to gain an unfair academic advantage for oneself or another by bribery or by any act of offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting anything of value to another for such purpose.

·         Changing or altering grades or other official educational records.

·         Obtaining or providing to another a test or answers to a test that has not been administered.

·         Breaking and entering into a building or office for the purpose of obtaining unauthorized materials.

·         Continuing work on an examination or assignment after the allocated time has elapsed.

·         Submitting the same work for more than one class without disclosure and approval.

·         Getting equal credit on group assignments when equal work was not done.

Procedures for Handling Incidents of Academic Dishonesty

Instructors are responsible to establish and communicate to students their expectations of behavior with respect to academic honesty and the student’s conduct in the course. The instructor will be responsible to investigate any incident of academic dishonesty or misconduct, determine the circumstances, and take appropriate action. Examples include but are not limited to the following:

·         Reprimanding the student orally or in writing.

·         Requiring work affected by the academic dishonesty to be redone.

·         Administering a lower or failing grade on the affected assignment, test, or course.

·         Working with the Dean of Students to remove the student from the course.

·         Recommending to the Dean of Students that the student be put on probation or dismissed.

If the incident involves the violation of a public law, e.g., breaking and entering into an office or stealing an examination, the act should be reported to Campus Police.

For the purpose of tracking, suspected or proven violations of the Academic Honesty Policy should be reported to the Dean of Students Office, detailing the name, incident, and action taken. If the occurrence is sufficiently egregious, or if a pattern of dishonesty or misconduct is discovered, additional action may be taken on behalf of the University based upon the nature of the infraction (see Student Handbook in Section VII).

If an affected student disagrees with the determination or action and is unable to resolve the matter to the mutual satisfaction of the student and the instructor, he or she may have it reviewed through the University’s grievance process (see Student Academic Grievance Policy).


Notification of Rights under FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within forty-five days after the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request amending those education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. (This does not apply to grade changes.) They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by State University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.  To file a complaint, write to:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
600 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-4605
  1. The following information is considered directory information and may be made public:

*  Student name

*  Home and local address

*  Telephone numbers

*  E-mail addresses

*  Date and place of birth

*  Dates of attendance (current and past)

*  Major field of study

*  Degrees and awards received

*  Participation in officially recognized activities and sports, including height and weight

*  Previous educational institutions attended

*  Religious affiliation to local church or congregation

*  Current class schedule

*  Pictures

*  Number of months/semesters enrolled

*  Class standing (freshman, sophomore, etc.)

*  Total hours earned

*  Enrollment status (full-time, part-time, less than half-time)

*  Anticipated future enrollments

*  Course registrations prior to the beginning of a semester/term

*  Expected date of graduation

*  Deferred registration eligibility


  1. Students have the right to block the release of their public directory information by completing a “Request to Withhold Directory Information” form at the Registrar’s Office. For complete confidentiality, this form must be completed within the first few days of each semester or term.  Students may also modify the display of the public directory information.
  2. Parents or guardians of students claimed as dependents on the most recently submitted Federal Income Tax form may have grade reports forwarded to them pursuant to the Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. Parents of dependent children under the above-described definition must submit a Certificate of Dependency Form in order to receive grade reports. No grade report will be sent to a parent or guardian without proper submission of this form. The Registrar’s Office will be responsible for informing all parents (of dependent children) of the option to have grade reports sent to them. The Registrar’s Office will record received Certificate of Dependency Forms, and send grade reports as requested.

Married students or students 21 years of age or older are considered as independent by the Registrar’s Office. Unmarried students or those under the age of 21, who are not claimed as dependents by their parents or guardians on the most recent Federal Income Tax form, must submit an Affidavit of Proof to be considered independent status. These forms are available at the Registrar’s Office.

Students may also waive the Certificate of Dependency Form by completing the Waiver of Independency form. Completion of this form authorizes parental access to student grades regardless of the dependency status of a student.


Sexual harassment is defined as any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature.  Sexual harassment may include unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other verbal, non-verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature.  Sexual harassment of a student may deny or limit, on the basis of sex, the student’s ability to participate in or receive benefits, services or opportunities in University programs.  BYU-Idaho’s policy against sexual harassment extends not only to employees of the University but to students as well.  If you encounter sexual harassment, gender based discrimination or need assistance or information related to allegations of sexual harassment, contact the Dean of Students Office, Kimball Room 270, or call 496-1120.