Academic Policies




Registrar's Office

The Registrar's Office processes all student records after the Admissions Office has accepted the student. Registration, graduation, and the handling and dispersing of all forms that affect student records are processed by the Registrar's Office. Transcripts are posted here and mailed out upon written request from the student.




Transcript Requests

Transcripts of an academic record cannot be requested over the telephone or by e-mail. Transcripts may be requested by going to the Registrar's Office and present photo ID. If requesting a transcript by mail or fax, the following information must be included: Full name and all names used while attending Brigham Young University-Idaho, U.S. Social Security Number (the Brigham Young University-Idaho ID number), date of birth, dates of attendance, current mailing address, and the address where the transcript is to be mailed. The request must include the student’s signature. The Registrar's Office fax number is (208) 496-1035. A request may also be made via the Registration System at


Full-Time Student Status

Students must be registered for 12 credit hours to be considered full-time. Full-time status is required for international students and for full Pell Grant award, Stafford Student Loan, SLS, PLUS, and private scholarship recipients, as well as those desiring on-campus employment, health insurance coverage, Social Security benefits, or full Veterans' benefits. This status is also required in order to run for student government offices and fulfill major appointive offices in student government. The full-time equivalency for Block/Summer Term registration is 6 credit hours.


Attendance and Absence from Class

Students are responsible for class attendance. No absences, whether approved by the University for participation in University-sponsored activities or necessitated by sickness or other personal emergencies, are "excused" in the sense that the student is relieved from class work assigned during the absence. To ensure continuity, students must make up missed work. In most cases, repeated absences will result in a lower grade or failure.


Adding and Dropping Classes

After classes begin, changes in registration can be made using a touch-tone phone or the Internet registration system. If a student wishes to add a class that is full, he or she needs to contact the course instructor and the instructor will add the student if there is space in the class. The student is responsible for dropping his or her own classes. A fee of $5 per drop is assessed at specified deadlines each semester.


Instructor-Initiated Drop Policy

Students in Audition Courses. In courses requiring an audition, the instructor will initiate a drop for those students not selected. These administrative drops will be processed without penalty and must be filed by the instructor with the Registrar's Office no later than the tenth class day of the semester.

Students who do not attend the first two class periods. Students in high-demand courses, i.e., English, religion, etc., who do not attend the first two classes (or first evening class) may be dropped by the instructor and replaced with another student. In some instances, such action may jeopardize financial aid or health insurance eligibility. In such cases, Brigham Young University-Idaho assumes no responsibility. The instructor should drop a student from class by accessing the student’s schedule on the computer.

Students who have attended at least one class period are not subject to this policy. Students who have registered but have no intention of successfully completing a course should officially drop the course rather than risking an "F" by assuming the instructor will process an administrative drop.

Ultimately, it is the student's responsibility to drop his or her own class using the touch-tone phone or Internet registration system.


Withdrawal from School

Beginning the first day of classes, any student who drops all classes to a zero credit level will be considered withdrawn from the University.  Dropping all classes with only audit classes remaining will also be considered withdrawn.


Students may withdraw by:



Dropping all classes online, by telephone, or at an on-campus site. Students who withdraw by these means are warned of the withdrawal status implications and informed of their responsibilities.




Contacting the Registrar's Office at (208) 496-1003.






The withdrawal date is the day the class (credit) was dropped unless otherwise approved by the Registrar’s Office.  Any exception (e.g., student never came to school, extenuating illness, etc.),  must be presented to the Registrar’s Office for evaluation (i.e., contact of instructors to verify attendance, requirement of physician report, etc.), and approval.  All withdrawal date adjustments will be communicated to the Accounting Office and Financial Aid Office by the Registrar’s Office.  Adjusted dates will be documented by the Registrar’s Office.






Students who withdraw will be considered as discontinuing their attendance at BYU-Idaho and will lose their continuing student status unless they apply for deferral status prior to the designated deadline.  Exceptions will be determined by the Registrar’s Office and must meet one or more of the following criteria:



Medical circumstances


Family emergencies


Other extraordinary circumstances





























The Registrar’s Office will notify the Admissions Office of exceptions to be considered for the next term or semester.  Students with medical reasons for withdrawal must present physician documentation. This statement must include an anticipated date of return to be eligible for deferral to future semesters within a one-year period.


If a student does not meet the above non-academic criteria and desires to return the next semester, he or she must submit an “Enrollment Deferment.” Otherwise, his or her enrollment status will discontinue and he or she is required to reapply. To defer enrollment without reapplying, the following conditions must be met. Students must:


Be admitted as a regular day school student the semester prior to requesting deferment.


Be admissible to BYU-Idaho.


Submit the “Continuing Student Enrollment Deferment Application” before the application deadline of the semester the student wishes to return.






NOTE: This deferment is for one semester only. Students must re-enroll at the university in their assigned track semester immediately following their absences. Students who plan to interrupt their studies for more than one semester should contact the Admissions Office for appropriate reapplication materials. Students leaving to serve LDS missions should ask the Admissions Office for an “LDS Missionary Admission Deferment Application.”

Students who withdraw from Brigham Young University-Idaho after the last day to withdraw from school without receiving grades earned will have those grades recorded on their academic record.


Exceptions to College Policy

Students wishing to appeal any Brigham Young University-Idaho academic policy must submit a petition to the Exceptions to College Policy Committee through the Registrar's Office. These situations may include dropping classes or withdrawing from school after published deadlines. Only Brigham Young University-Idaho policies can be appealed; federal guidelines and/or requirements cannot be appealed through this committee.




Probation, Suspension, Readmission, and Dismissal

Students’ academic standing at Brigham Young University-Idaho is determined by two measures of their work. One is their GPA (grade point average) and the other is the satisfactory progress toward graduation they make in completing those courses for which they have registered.  Grades are considered to be either "progress" grades or "non-progress" grades. "Progress" grades range from a D- to an A; "non-progress" grades are F, W, and UW.


Satisfactory Academic Standing

Students are making satisfactory academic progress when their cumulative GPA is 2.0 or above and when more than 75 percent of their final grades in their most recent semester are "progress" grades. The 75 percent policy is tracked only for full-time (12 or more credits) students; it is not tracked for Second Block students or non-track Semester students.


Academic Probation

Students will be placed on academic probation when their cumulative GPA (including transfer courses) is between 1.00 and 1.99 or when their progress is below 75 percent in their most recent semester.

If, while on probation, students complete the next semester/term with a 2.0 or better (calculated on 12 earned semester credits/6 block or Summer Term credits), but do not raise their cumulative GPAs to a 2.0 or better, they will continue on probation rather than being placed on suspension. Students will be removed from probation only when their cumulative GPA reaches 2.0 or higher.

When students are placed on probation, they should contact their faculty advisor immediately. It is also recommended that they take advantage of the resources in the Study Skills Lab, Reading Lab, Writing Center, and Tutoring Center. They should also plan to repeat those courses in which they received a D or an F grade.

If students are receiving university or federal financial aid, they should check with the Financial Aid Office to see if they are still eligible. If they have an on-campus job, they should check with the Student Employment Office to see if they are still eligible.


Academic Suspension

One or more of three situations will cause students to be placed on academic suspension:


 When their first semester/term, or any subsequent semester/term, GPA is below 1.0.




When on academic probation, they fail to bring their cumulative GPA to 2.0 or above,   or they fail to receive at least a 2.0 GPA for the semester/term (with 12 credits/6 credits).




When they fail to achieve 75 percent satisfactory progress in two consecutive semesters.




Suspended students are denied continued enrollment at Brigham Young University-Idaho. Therefore, if students are suspended and desire to return to Brigham Young University-Idaho, they must meet the provisions for re-admission as explained below.  Students may petition suspension decisions to the Academic Standards Committee.

If they have pre-registered and/or paid any tuition for a subsequent semester/term, they must withdraw from school and arrange for a tuition refund.



After being placed on academic suspension, two conditions for readmission must be met:


Students on academic suspension are not be allowed to return to BYU-Idaho for twelve months (two major semesters and all Summer Terms).   Students may not apply for readmission until the entire twelve months have been completed.  For example, if a student was suspended in December 2003, the earliest application for readmission is Winter Semester 2005.  Reapplication must coincide with assigned tracks.




Students will be allowed to return only if they have completed 12 semester (18 quarter) credits with a 2.0 GPA at another college or university; or if they have completed a full-time mission for the Church. (BYU-Idaho Continuing Education credits do not meet the above criteria.)


Academic Dismissal

Students who have been academically suspended from BYU-Idaho for a second time are usually placed on academic dismissal. A student’s academic history will be carefully reviewed by the Academic Standards Committee, and school officials may determine that a student has exhausted any opportunities to study and progress academically at BYU-Idaho. If wishing to continue a formal education, the student will need to seek other options.





Credits Earned

Credits may be earned and recorded at BYU-Idaho in accordance with the following provisions:


In residence - Consists of attendance in regular school classes or extension classes in established residence centers for which a passing grade is received.




In non-residence - Consists of correspondence or extension work in non-residence centers. Total residence and non-residence hours may not exceed a normal level.


Credit Hour Limit for Degrees

The maximum number of credits students may earn and still remain at BYU-Idaho is 80 credit hours for an associate degree and 140 credit hours for a bachelor degree.  Students wishing to continue at BYU-Idaho must justify exceeding the 80-credit or 140-credit limit through a petition submitted to the Academic Standards Committee.  Exceptions are automatically made for students majoring in Nursing, Interior Design, and Paramedicine programs. (Associate levels).


Special Examinations

Permission to earn credit by special examination must be obtained from the Department Chair involved. Application for credit by special examination may be made through the Registrar's Office.


Advanced Placement Policy

Students who complete an Advanced Placement course in high school and receive a grade of 3, 4, or 5 on the corresponding College Advanced Placement Examination may be granted up to 6 semester credits in that subject (see below).


Art: History of

ART 201



ART 202





Art: Studio Drawing

ART 102

2.0 - 6.0





BIO 100



BIO 150






CHEM 105



CHEM 106





Computer Science A

CS 102





Computer Science AB

CS 144



CS 102





Economics: Macro

ECON 111





Economics: Micro

ECON 112





English Lang/Comp

ENG 111*



ENG 120*





English Lit/Comp

ENG 111



ENG 250





Environmental Science

BIO 250





French Language

FR 101



FR 102





French Literature

FR 201



FR 202





German Language

GER 101



GER 102





Gov. & Politics






United States

POLSC 104 (Gen)





Gov. & Politics







POLSC 104 (Gen)





History: U.S.

HIST 120



HIST 121





History: European

HIST 102



HIST 202





History:  World Hist

HIST 201



HIST 202





Latin: Vergil









Latin: Catullus-Hor










MATH 110





Calculus AB

MATH 111



MATH 112*






MATH 112*





Calculus BC

MATH 113





Music Theory






Physics B

PH 105



PH 106





Physics C:

PH 105






PH 121





Physics C:

PH 106





Elec & Mag

PH 220





Spanish Language

SPAN 101



SPAN 102





Spanish Literature

SPAN 201



SPAN 202






MATH 221




*Will show as a repeat if both sections were passed.

**If both language and literature have been taken and passed, they will receive 6 credits of ENG 120 (generic).


College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Students may receive university credit for CLEP exams as specified on the approved list in the Testing Center. To receive credit, a student must score a minimum of 61 on the English general exam, 50 on the other general exam (with the exception of Math), and 50 on a subject exam. Earned credit hours will be posted as CLEP credit with a "P" grade. Such credit may not be converted to a letter grade or correlated with an existing Brigham Young University-Idaho course.


NOTE: BYU will not accept CLEP scores below 61. Students intending to transfer credit by examination should check with potential institutions for specific credit-by-exam transfer policies.


Vertical Credit

Subject to Department Chair approval, students who have earned a grade of “C” or better in a class taken at Brigham Young University-Idaho for which there are prerequisite course(s) they have not taken, may be given credit and a “pass” grade for the prerequisite course(s). To apply, students must consult the appropriate Department Chair. If he or she approves, an application may be picked up at the Registrar’s Office where a credit fee will be assessed. The fee is $15 for 0.5 to 3.0 credits, with an additional $5 per credit. Although vertical credit counts toward total credit requirements for graduation, no grade is given toward GPA computation.


Grading System

Grades are determined by each instructor based upon an evaluation of all assigned and completed course work. Classroom/laboratory participation, mastery of subject matter, and promise of continuing success in sequential courses in related fields are all criteria used to evaluate progress.

·         "A" is an honor grade indicating superior achievement.

·         "B" is an honor grade indicating commendable achievement.

·         "C" indicates satisfactory achievement.

·         "D" indicates substandard progress and insufficient evidence of ability to succeed in sequential courses.

·         "W" indicates a withdrawal from the class. However, if the class is dropped during the first ten class days of a semester, the first six class days of second block, or the first four class days of a summer term, no annotation will be made on the permanent academic record.

·         “UW” indicates an unofficial withdrawal which is given to student who meets the following criteria: Did not complete proper withdrawal procedures; has record of non-attendance; did not complete any work, tests, or class-related assignments after attendance ceased; or the record of non-attendance did not begin after the last date to drop class without grade earned.  The “UW” is calculated into the GPA as a failing grade (0.0) grade value.

·         "F" indicates a failure to master pertinent information or skills.

·         “I” is a conditional grade.

NOTE: The following table indicates each grade variant at Brigham Young University-Idaho with its equivalent grade points:


One Credit of

Equals Grade Points
















































Incomplete Grades

An incomplete grade (“I” grade) is a conditional grade only granted under the following circumstances:


Extenuating circumstances (serious illness, personal injury, death in immediate family, etc.) that occurred after the twelfth week of a semester or the sixth week of a block or summer term and hindered class work.




The student must be able to complete the remaining work on an individual basis with the instructor.  Re-enrollment cannot be a required criteria.




The student must have a “passing” grade at the time of petitioning for the incomplete grade. It is not a substitute for a failing grade.




Teacher approval is mandatory.


Fees and special instructions are available at the Registrar’s Office.


Audit Policy

Tuition for audit classes is assessed on the same basis as for credit classes.  Students may not change class status from audit to credit after the deadline to withdraw from a class without earning a “W”.

Departments have the right to refuse to allow audit students to occupy class space.  Any audit block must be reported by the Department Chair to the Registrar’s Office prior to the beginning of registration for each semester.

Students who audit a class are not responsible for attendance, daily preparations or examinations, and no grade is reported or recorded on the permanent record.  An “I” grade may not be made up by repeating the class as an audit.

Registered students who drop all credit classes and only have audit class(es) remaining are considered withdrawn from the University effective the latest drop date of the non-audit class(es).  Students will need to re-apply through the Admissions Office for the next semester.  Compliance with deadlines is required, unless a deferment is obtained.


Pass/Fail Classes

Brigham Young University-Idaho offers a limited number of "Pass/Fail" classes. Students in these classes receive no letter grade; instead, they either pass or fail depending on whether or not they have met the class criteria. All pass credits count toward graduation, but are not included in GPA calculations.


Amounts of Credit per Term

Sixteen credit hours per semester are recommended for full-time students. Twenty-one credit hours is the recommended maximum. After advisor approval, students may take more than 21 credits per semester or over 10 credits per block/summer term. Half credits are charged the same as one full credit.


Class Periods

Regular semester class periods last fifty minutes. Regular semester laboratory periods run either two or three hours. Three hours of laboratory work or two hours of laboratory work, as well as one hour outside preparation per class hour per week are required for one semester credit hour.


Repeating Classes

Some courses at Brigham Young University-Idaho are repeatable for credit (i.e., 100-level classes and internships). However, most classes cannot be repeated without losing the credit earned the first time the course was taken. For example, if a student takes REL 121 one semester and receives a passing grade and takes the same course again in a later semester, the student will earn only two credits, not four.

Students may repeat classes in the following ways:

·         Repeat at Brigham Young University-Idaho classes taken at Brigham Young University-Idaho. Repeat at Brigham Young University-Idaho classes taken at another college. (A statement of equivalency must be supplied by the appropriate Brigham Young University-Idaho department chairman.)

NOTE: When a class has been repeated, the grade used to calculate the GPA is the last grade earned and not the better of the two grades.

NOTE: When planning to repeat a class at Brigham Young University-Idaho that was taken at another college, students intending to transfer should be sure the transfer school will accept the repeated class.


Academic Renewal

Under certain circumstances, Brigham Young University-Idaho allows students to petition for academic renewal. If approved, this eliminates previous poor academic work, either at Brigham Young University-Idaho or elsewhere, from the student academic record. Before petitioning for academic renewal, the following conditions must be met:


A minimum of four years must have elapsed since the most recent course work to be disregarded was completed.




The student must have completed at least one semester at Brigham Young University-Idaho as a full-time student (12 credits or more) with a grade point average of at least 2.5.

If academic renewal is approved, the permanent academic record is annotated to indicate that no work taken during the disregarded semester(s), even if satisfactory, shall be applied toward graduation requirements. However, all work remains on the records to ensure a true and accurate academic history.

This policy may not be used for individual courses. Students intending to transfer to another institution should also be aware that this policy may not be accepted.

Academic renewal may be applied only once during an academic career at Brigham Young University-Idaho.


GPA Requirements

Students must be making satisfactory academic progress (2.0 GPA) to represent the school in extracurricular activities.


Credit Requirements

To be eligible for various benefits, honors, and activities, students must be enrolled in the hours indicated:


    14 semester credits (and a 3.7 GPA) -- Honor Roll.


    12 semester credits -- Brigham Young University-Idaho scholarships, full Veterans’ benefits, full Pell Grants, selected loans and grants, campus employment, athletic competition, Social Security benefits, running for student government offices or fulfilling major appointive offices in student government, health insurance coverage, international students, Stafford Student Loans, and SLS and PLUS loans.

    9.5 semester credits -- Student activity privileges and student voting.


One-Time Registration

Beginning Fall Semester 2002, the following changes will be implemented regarding block registration:

·         There will no longer be a separate application for students who begin attending school on the block term.

·         There will no longer be a separate registration time for students beginning on the block.

·         Students will register by credit level for all classes offered during a semester regardless of the starting time for the class.

·         Students may still begin their studies in October or March, but will apply and register at the same time as the other students.  Such students will be classified as full-time if they take six or more credits during the block term.

·         Academic deadlines will be coordinated with the start/stop dates of each class.

·         There will be no financial reimbursement if a student drops below a full-time load during the semester, unless there is a complete withdrawal from all classes.


·         Registration will be as follows:                                  

Winter Semester:


Summer Terms:


Fall Semester:










A verification is proof of enrollment.  It shows the student’s personal information with name, date of birth, address, current dates of attendance, and history of attendance.  It also shows for which track he or she was accepted, if he or she has applied for graduation, or if he or she has graduated.  It is used for insurance purposes, loan deferments, scholarships, employers, government and legal offices, etc.


The Registrar’s Office receives requests through letters, phone calls, e-mails, faxes, and in person.  A student’s name, Social Security Number (or Student ID Number), and an address where to send or fax numbers are required.  Verification of student information such as attendance dates/degrees can be given verbally.  Many companies also want the insured’s name and group number entered on the verification.


GPA verifications need to be in writing, with the student’s signature, because of FERPA privacy laws.  Presentation of student identification at the Registrar’s Office is required.  Social Security numbers are not listed unless requested by the student.


All verifications other than verbal are signed by the Registrar and stamped with the University’s seal.



Registration and Payment Deadlines


The following deadlines are important for students to keep in mind.  Refer to the University Catalog and Class Schedule for specific dates for each semester.  Remember that payments must be in the Cashier’s Office by the deadline date:




Last day to drop classes without a charge of $5 per class dropped.


Final Payment deadline late charge is 5% of unpaid and related charges.


Insurance Payment Deadline.


Campus Housing payments (refer to housing contract).


Classes dropped after this day will appear on the transcript with a “W” grade.


Last day to drop full semester classes.


Last day to withdraw from school without receiving grades earned.



Graduation Catalog Requirement

  A student is responsible for the General Education and Major Requirements listed in any one Brigham Young University-Idaho Catalog (chosen by the student) from the year of first registration to the year of graduation, provided the Brigham Young University-Idaho Catalog chosen is not more than five years old.


Transfer from BYU-I

  As Brigham Young University - Idaho transitions to a four year school, pre-existing articulation agreements with other universities in Idaho and Utah remain in effect.

Transfer to BYU-I

 Brigham Young University - Idaho accepts college level courses from all regionally accredited schools.  Courses are  applied to specific general education and major requirements when it is determined by the transfer credit evaluation office that they are equivalent to BYU-I courses.  Students attending regionally accredited colleges from Utah and Idaho who complete the associate transfer degree will be considered as having completed the general education requirements.  If they have not completed the transfer degree their credit will be evaluated on a course by course basis.