Financial Policies

This section describes the CONTRACTUAL FINANCIAL AGREEMENT between Brigham Young University-Idaho and each student who attends any regular school session and/or enrolls in any credit class.


Brigham Young University-Idaho is affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.Approximately seventy percent of the Universityís operational costs is paid from the tithes of Church members.Because of this, students who are Church members or their families have already made a monetary contribution to the operations of the University.To help equalize this cost, non-members of the Church are assessed higher tuition, which still does not completely cover the total educational costs of the student.


All audited, Internet, and Continuing Education credit classes are charged the same tuition as regular credit classes taken at the University.


Access to personal information on the BYU-Idaho home page requires the student ID number and a PIN number.The studentís birth month and year (4 digits) are set up as the PIN when the student applies for admission.The student is encouraged to change this to another number on the Registration System for additional privacy.Payroll information requires a network user name and password, which is set up automatically for new students.The name can be found on the network directory after school begins.The studentís PIN serves as the password until changed by the student at the Help Desk in the Library.See





Each student has a personal account at the University where all charges and payments are recorded.The different types of charges and payments are identified separately on each studentís account; e.g., Tuition and Fees for each semester, Books and Supplies, Campus Housing, Student Insurance, Deposits, etc.Also, different types of financial aid are identified; e.g., BYU-Idaho Scholarships and Grants, Off-Campus Scholarships, Pell Grants, and Stafford Loans.To view this information log on to or


I-Card Deposits


Students can deposit money on their personal BYU-Idaho identification I-Card which then allows them to use this card to make purchases at Food Services outlets and vending machines, to buy items from the Bookstore, to pay for tickets to events, to make copies at copy machines on campus, and use the printers in the computer labs.Students can make deposits at the Cashiers Office in the Kimball Building, Food Services cashiers, Cash to Card machines in the Library, at the Copy Centers, and on the Web at must have their student I-Card before they can use their deposits.


Personal Deposit Accounts

For the convenience of each student, money may be deposited to the studentís personal account at the University.These funds may be used by the student to pay for future debts incurred or may be withdrawn for personal use.Up to $400 cash can be withdrawn each day or a check written for any amount between 8:15 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Cashiers Office.


Students may also open a checking or savings account in one of the local banks in Rexburg or at the Beehive Federal Credit Union.All of these financial institutions are pleased to have student customers and are within walking distance of the campus.Money can be transferred electronically into a studentís account.Also, students can have 24 hour access to their money by using the Beehive Federal Credit Unionís Automated Teller Machines (ATM) located on campus or at other ATMís in Rexburg.


Payroll Accounts

Students who work for BYU-Idaho may have their pay deposited directly into their checking or savings account at their bank or credit union.This is done by submitting a request form along with a voided check or savings deposit slip to the Payroll Section in the Accounting Office.If this option is not chosen, the studentís pay will be deposited into his or her personal payroll account at the University.It will be available at the Cashiers Office on or after each payday (8th and 23rd of each month) between 8:15 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, in the form of cash and/or check.


Payroll Notifications are available on or




Registration Deposit

The Registration Deposit of $60 must be paid before a student will be allowed to register.This deposit is required of all students including those who will receive a scholarship or financial aid. This can be paid (1) at the Cashiers Office, either in person or by mail, 130 Kimball, Rexburg, ID83460-1625, (2) in advance over the phone (208-436-1080) with a VISA or MasterCharge bank card, or (3) with a bank card when registering on the phone or web.


This deposit will be kept on the studentís account to allow registration for subsequent semesters.When a student is no longer a continuing student, this deposit will be applied to outstanding debts and the balance returned to the student.Student can have this refund processed sooner by notifying the Accounting Office when they are not returning.



Tuition is based upon the number of registered credits (including audited classes), even if classes may not start until later in the semester.Students taking 12 or more credits a semester will be charged full-time tuition; otherwise, tuition is assessed for each credit for which the student is registered.The amount of tuition is computed each time the student registers or makes changes until the registration deadline (one week after classes begin).Afterwards, tuition will not be adjusted downward.


If students have not reached full-time status by the Registration Deadline, they will be charged for additional classes which may be added later until they reach full time status.


Class Fees

Certain classes may have an extra fee due to the unique expenses associated with that class.Generally, these fees are for supplies which are considered to be purchased and used during the first week of each term.Some fees are for student travel or other purposes such as private lessons or guest lecturers. There is no refund of class fees after the Registration Deadline unless the teacher certifies to the Accounting Office that funds have not been committed and/or expended. Reference each class in this catalog for details of each class fee.


Charge per Class Dropped

There is no charge for dropping a class up to one week after the class begins (Registration Deadline).After this date, there will be a $5 charge for each class dropped.The deadlines are listed in the catalog calendar.


Class Schedule and Fees Form

A Class Schedule and Fees Form will show the following for the semester: (1) the schedule of classes for which the student is registered, including times, instructors, and locations, (2) total of tuition and class fees assessed, (3) any tuition payments, (4) any awarded scholarships, grants, and other financial aid, (5) the amount which will be owing after payments and aid are applied, and (6) the Payment Deadline and other information.


This form is available on or can also be requested from the Registrarís Office either in person, by phone (208-496-1004), or over the phone registration system (208-496-1006).The Class Schedule and Fees Form may change after each registration change.Therefore, be certain to obtain the most recent form.






Payment for the full amount of Tuition and Fees for ALL registered classes is due on the following dates, including classes which have not started.Failure to pay the full amount will result in a Late Payment Charge of 5% on the unpaid balance.As long as a student is taking any class which begins during the first half of the semester, the student is considered to be a full semester student.


†††† †††††† Sep†† 8 †††††††††† Fall Semester

†††† †††††† Jan†† 12†††††††††† Winter Semester

†††† †††††† May10†††††††††† Summer Semester


If additional charges result from classes being added later, these charges will be due the day the additional registration takes place, NOT when the classes begin.There will be NO REFUND for these classes if they are later dropped, unless the student withdraws from school.


The following Tuition Payment Deadlines are for those students who do not start school until the middle of the semester.This includesďonly Second Block StudentsĒ.


Nov 1††††††††††††† Fall Block

††††††††††† Mar 8††††††††††††† Winter Block

††††††††††† Jul5†††††††††††††† Summer Block


There is NO OFFICIAL BILLING FOR TUITION AND FEES mailed to students by BYU-Idaho.However, this information may be obtained at anytime on or on,/accountingoffice or by obtaining a Schedule and Fees Form on the phone registration (208-496-1006).BEING UNAWARE OF THE AMOUNTS OWING OR THE DEADLINE DATES DOES NOT EXCUSE THE STUDENT FROM MEETING THE TUITION PAYMENT DEADLINES.Payments can be made by mail, in person at the Cashiers Office, and by bank card on the phone (208-496-1080) or on the studentís personal account, on or on






Books and Supplies

Books and school supplies purchased at the BYU-Idaho Bookstore may be charged to the studentís personal account at the University.These charges become due the following month; however, available financial aid will be used when available to pay for these charges.These purchases may also be made with cash, check, or bank card.


Students may purchase required course materials from other sources than the BUI-Idaho Bookstore which would largely include the inter-net.The course materials which are required can be obtained by visiting and then selecting Textbooks.


If a student needs to receive Financial Aid before school starts to purchase course materials from a source other than the BYU-I Bookstore, they should contact the Accounting Office.An appropriate advance of their Financial Aid up to 10 days before the semester or class begins will be handled on an individual basis.


Student Health Center Charges

All students and spouses have access to the Student Health Center for a $6 charge per visit.In addition, spouses are charged an $8 access fee per semester upon their first visit.Other dependents of students do not have access.The cost of Health Center visits and services may be charged to the studentís personal account at the University.It is then the responsibility of the student to pay for these charges by the end of the following month.If the student has coverage with a private insurance company, the student is responsible to submit any claims to that insurance company.The Health Center does not bill the studentís private insurance company.



All students admitted to BYU-Idaho as traditional matriculating students must have Accident and Medical Insurance Coverage in Rexburg.Therefore students will be automatically charged for Student Insurance unless they have submitted a waiver form showing they have other insurance.A brief summary regarding medical insurance can be found at the end of this section.For a more detailed explanation, see the Student Health Plan on (under Financial Information), or, or contact the Accounting Office for a copy of the Student Health Plan Handbook.††


Student Campus Housing

Payments are due according to the housing contract signed by the students.Contractual arrangements are made in the Housing Office.For on- and off-campus housing information, contact the Housing Office, 190 Kimball (208-496-1045), or visit


Long Distance Phone Credit Cards

Only students living in campus housing may acquire a BYU-Idaho phone card.Student can request a card at the Accounting Office.Long distance calls will be charged to the studentís personal account at the University and are due the following month.


Meal Contracts

Students may purchase various meal contracts from the BYU-Idaho Food Services.These contracts may be charged to the studentís personal account at the University.Payments are due according to the contract signed by the student.For additional information or to set up a contract, contact Food Services in Manwaring Student Center 248, or call 208-496-2251, or visit Food Services on the home page at


Activity Pass and Privileges

All students with half-time status or more can use their I-Card as an Activity Pass. This pass entitles them to attend music and drama performances for $1 or $2 per performance. Spouses of these students may purchase a spouse I-Card at the Ticket Office for a non-refundable $25 a semester.When a student withdraws from BYU-Idaho, the Activity Pass and privileges for the student and spouse will be cancelled.


Part-time as well as full-time students have access to the use of the Physical Education building, Library, and other facilities on campus.Spouses may have access to P.E. facilities by purchasing a pass at the P.E. office for $5 a semester.





Monthly Financial Statements will NOT be printed and mailed to students who have Continuing Student Status, even during their break.However, they will be notified at the beginning of each month (by e-mail to their BYU-Idaho address) if a balance is still owing.This notice may be forwarded automatically by students to another e-mail address.Students can go at any time to their Personal Account on the web to view details of all charges and payments, including deposits at or


If currently enrolled students wish to view a monthly statement, they can do so on their Personal Account screen.Then the statement may be either printed or attached to an e-mail to be forwarded to another person.If someone other than the student is making payments, the student is responsible to provide the necessary information to them so that the payments will be made by the deadlines.STUDENTS SHOULD NOT RELY UPON MONTHLY E-MAIL OR STATEMENTS TO REMIND THEM OF THE PAYMENT DEADLINES for Tuition and Fees, Insurance, Campus Housing, or Campus Meals.


Monthly Statements will be printed and mailed to students who no longer have Continuing Student status.




All payments must be made in U.S. currency and be received by Brigham Young University-Idaho by the deadline dates. Payments may be made in person at the Cashiers Office in the Kimball Building or by mail to BYU-Idaho, Cashiers Office, Rexburg, ID 83460-1625.If paying by mail, allow enough time for the mail to get to the Cashiers Office.Send either a check or money order.Do not send cash by mail.


Payments may also be made on the BYU-Idaho home page with a direct transfer of money from personal bank checking or savings accounts, or with a credit or debit bank card (VISA or MasterCharge).Go to or and select Personal Account.Bank cards may also be used in person at the Cashiers or over the phone (208-496-1080).Any questions concerning personal accounts should be directed to the Accounting Office, either in person (130 Kimball) or by calling (208) 436-1050.


Advance Payments

Payments may be made in advance, either in one amount or in several installments, which will enable the student to meet payment deadlines without having to pay the entire amount in one lump sum.If a student decides not to attend after making advanced payments, the full amount will be refunded after deducting any debts the student may owe the University.


Scholarships and Grants

BYU-Idaho scholarships and grants will be posted to the studentís account up to 10 days before the first day of classes of each semester.Scholarships and grants from non-BYU-Idaho sources will be credited as they are received.


Federal Financial Aid

Approved Pell Grants and Stafford Loans are available up to 10 days before each semester. However, Pell Grants will be delayed if classes for the specified minimum credits do not start until later in the semester.†† In these cases, the students should plan on paying Tuition and Fees by the deadline in order to avoid the Late Payment Charge.A partial Pell can be obtained by visiting the Financial Aid Office.


Before the Tuition Payment Deadline, students should go to the Cashiers Office to: (1) apply the Financial Aid in their personal accounts to cover Tuition, Fees, and other debts, and (2) access any funds left after debts are paid.If this is not done during the first week of each semester or term, the Financial Aid in the studentís account will be automatically used to pay Tuition, Fees, and other debts authorized by the student.Students may then go to the Cashiers Office at any time to obtain the balance of their Financial Aid.


Before Financial Aid will be given to a student, a Title IV Authorization form must be submitted stating whether the student gives authorization to BYU-Idaho to use these funds to pay for all debts owed to the school or just for Tuition, Fees, and Campus Housing and Meals.This decision will remain in force as long as the student has continuing student status OR until the student goes into the Accounting Office and changes the authorization.This form may be completed on the home page at (select Title IV Authorization), at the Cashiers window, or submitted to the Accounting Office.


Dishonored (bad) Checks

Appropriate late charges will be assessed when a dishonored check has been used to pay tuition and other charges. Check cashing privileges may also be terminated. A return check charge of $5 will also be assessed for each dishonored check.


Delinquent Accounts

If a student fails to meet financial obligations such as unpaid fees, fines, loans, housing, returned checks, or loss of property or breakage, the following recourse may be taken by the University:

1.      Cancellation of registration.

2.      Advanced payment for tuition and other charges by a student with a bad debt history before he or she will be allowed to register.

3.      Withholding of academic credit. No transcript of credits, recommendation, registration or readmission to the University will be allowed until the obligation is cleared.

When students become delinquent in the payment of their financial obligations, BYU-Idaho will charge:(a) a finance charge in the amount of one percent per month of all unpaid debts over thirty days old, (b) all late charges, and (c) all costs of collection incurred by BYU-Idaho in collecting the debts, including collection agency charges and attorneyís fees.If a studentís account is assigned or turned over to a collection agency, an additional charge of one-third or more of the unpaid debt will be added to the total debt to pay for the costs of collection.This will enable BYU-Idaho to receive full payment of the amount owing to the University by the student.

The above steps may be taken by the Director of Accounting Services without further notice if a satisfactory arrangement is not made after the student has once been notified regarding his or her financial responsibility.





There are NO REFUNDS for Tuition and Fees after the Registration Deadlines unless the student officially withdraws from BYU-Idaho.Students will be charged for the classes for which they are registered until officially withdrawn from school, even though they may not have been attending the classes or the classes have not started.


All registered classes will be added together in determining the tuition to be charged, even if some of the classes have not started.At the Registration Deadline students have purchased their places in the registered classes, and there will be NO REFUND given unless a student completely withdraws from school.


Students may come into the Accounting Office before withdrawing from school to see how the withdrawal will affect them financially.


Computation of Tuition Refunds

The following charges will be made to withdrawing students:

†††† 1.If a student withdraws prior to the first day of the semester, there will be no charge.The Registration Deposit will be applied to any outstanding debts and the balance mailed to the student when he loses his Continuing Student Status.

2.If a student withdraws on or after the first day of classes and prior to the Registration Deadline, there will only be a $60 processing fee.The Registration Deposit will be applied to the processing fee.

†††† 3.If withdrawal takes place after the Registration Deadline, the student will be charged a $60 processing fee plus an adjusted tuition amount based upon calendar days from the first day of the semester until the official withdrawal date.The amount previously charged for tuition at the beginning of the semester (or block for block students) will be adjusted to reflect this new amount.†† After the semester or block is sixty percent completed, the tuition amount will not be adjusted, and there will be no refund of tuition.Also, there will be no refund of class fees after the Registration Deadline.Approximately one percent per calendar day for the semester (two percent for second block students) will be used to calculate adjusted tuition during the periods as follows:


Fall Semester

Sep 3 Ė Nov 2


Fall Block

Oct 24 - -Nov 23

Winter Semester

Jan 6 Ė Mar 11


Winter Block

Mar 1 - Apr 1

Summer Semester

May 3 Ė Jul 7


Summer Block

Jun 28 - Jul 29


4.      Federal Repayment Guidelines will be used for students receiving Title IV financial aid.The adjusted amount of tuition and fees will be computed from the first day of the semester up to the date of withdrawal in addition to the $60 processing fee, including withdrawals during the first week.


Federal Title IV Financial Aid

Students who have received Federal financial aid and plan on withdrawing from school should first check with the Accounting Office to determine how much of the financial aid they will have to pay back to the government when they withdraw. This may affect the decision to withdraw.

When a student receives Title IV funds (Pell Grant, Stafford and PLUS Loans) to attend BYU-Idaho and subsequently withdraws from school, Federal law and regulations require the computation of the total unearned amount of the financial AND the amount unearned by the institution for tuition, fees, campus housing/meals, and returned books. The difference between these two is the amount which the student will owe to the government. The earned and unearned amounts are calculated by dividing the total calendar days of the term into the number of days up to the withdrawal date. After sixty percent of the term is past, the full amount of the financial aid is considered Earned. The institutional Unearned portion of the financial aid will be applied first to any loans and then to any amount owing on the Pell Grant.

Housing and Meal Contracts

Refunds will be processed when the contract is terminated and will be computed according to the terms of the contract.


Student Insurance

Student insurance is non-refundable after the Insurance Waiver Deadlines.


Class and Related Fees

These fees are non-refundable after the Registration Deadlines unless authorized by the instructor.


Application of Refunds

If payments exceed the adjusted charges for tuition and fees and other charges, the overpayment or refund will be credited (1) to outstanding debts owing by the student to BYU-Idaho, (2) to any debt owing to the government for Pell Grants, and (3) to school scholarships or grants awarded to the student during that semester or term.If a balance remains, it will be mailed to the student within thirty days of the withdrawal.




If a student feels that his or her financial questions or problems have not been adequately resolved in the Accounting Office, they should then visit with the Director of Accounting Services (130 Kimball).If the problem persists because of extraordinary circumstances, a student may appeal to the Director of Financial Services (290 Kimball).




Brigham Young University-Idaho requires that all students who are admitted as matriculating students, and have Continuing Student Status must be covered in the Rexburg area by health and accident insurance.Therefore, each student who registers as a matriculating student is automatically charged for the Brigham Young University-Idaho student insurance unless an Insurance Waiver form has been previously submitted to the Accounting Office.†† They will also be charge during their off-track break unless they submit a waiver.


Although Continuing Education and non-traditional students will not be automatically enrolled, they may be eligible to buy insurance.They should contact the Accounting Office before the deadline date of each semester that they might be eligible.


The following is a summary taken from the Student Health Plan Handbook which contains the contractual agreement with DMBA for the BYU-Idaho student insurance which takes precedence over this summary.The entire Handbook can be viewed on (under Financial Information) or Handbook will also be mailed to a student upon request to the Accounting Office.


Additional enrollment information may also be obtained by visiting the Accounting Office, 130 Kimball Building, or calling (208)498-1039.Policy information as well as the status of any claims may be viewed on the home page of Deseret Mutual Benefit Administrators (DMBA),, or by calling 1-800-777-3622.For questions concerning coverage, contact the Student Health Center.




When students register for the first time, they are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Plan.If a student has waived the student insurance and then the coverage under another insurance plan is terminated involuntarily during the year, he or she should notify the Accounting Office within sixty days of the termination or use the BYU-Idaho home page ( to enroll in the BYU-Idaho insurance plan.


Once enrolled in the BYU-Idaho plan, the insurance coverage will continue until the student no longer has continuing student status, or when a waiver is submitted before the deadline for each semester.This insurance coverage applies to continuing students during their off-track semester break unless a waiver is submitted for that break. If a student has a break between semesters longer than four months, coverage will be terminated unless the student has a one semester deferment from the Admissions Office.


Student Insurance Waiver

A STUDENT MAY HAVE THE BYU-IDAHO INSURANCE WAIVED if (1) he or she is covered in the Rexburg area by another health and accident insurance plan, AND (2) a completed Insurance Waiver Form is submitted to the Accounting Office BEFORE the deadline listed below.These forms are mailed to new students in their registration packets.They may also be picked up in the Accounting Office or completed on the BYU-Idaho home page BYU-Idaho insurance cannot be waived after the following deadlines.


Sep 7

Fall Semester


Oct 29

Fall Second Block Students

Jan 11

Winter Semester


Mar 7

Winter Second Block Students

May 9

Summer Semester


Jul 4

Summer Second Block Students


Once the insurance has been waived, the student will not be charged for insurance in subsequent registration periods while a continuing student, unless the Accounting Office is informed that the student is no longer covered by private insurance.It is the studentís responsibility to inform the Accounting Office or to enroll at as soon as the private insurance coverage terminates.Students will not automatically have BYU-Idahoís insurance if private insurance is cancelled.If a student changes private insurance companies, he or she should inform the Accounting Office or enter the new company on the web.


Insurance Waiver During Breaks from School

If a student has private insurance coverage at home during an off-track break from school, he or she may waive the BYU-Idaho insurance during this period up to four months.When a student returns to school, the BYU-Idaho insurance will be reinstated.This Away-From-Campus Insurance Waiver form is available in the Accounting Office and can also be completed at†† This must be completed by the deadline date of the semester for which the student will be absent from school.


Student Dependents Insurance

Students may enroll their dependents in the Student Health Plan if the student is also enrolled in the Student Health Plan.Enrollment MUST take place (1) during the first week of the studentís attendance,or (2) during the open enrollment period (first week of Fall Semester), or (3) within sixty days of the termination of other private insurance, or (4) within 60 days of the acquiring of a new dependent (marriage, birth, or adoption).Once enrolled, the dependentís insurance will continue until the student no longer has Continuing Student Status or the student cancels the coverage.Contact the Accounting Office for more details at 130 Kimball or call 208-496-1039.Students are advised to talk to the insurance enrollment clerk in the Accounting Office as soon as possible before the deadline dates.


Insurance Payment Deadlines

Insurance payments are due at the beginning of each semester for which the student (and dependents) are enrolled.The deadlines for insurance payments are the same as tuition and fees.Reference the Insurance Payment Deadlines above or on the catalog calendar.


Cancellation of Insurance

The Student Health Plan Insurance will be automatically cancelled at the end of the semester in which a student withdraws from school and when the student no longer has continuing student status.If a student does not plan on returning to school, he or she should notify the Accounting Office so that the insurance can be cancelled or the extended insurance option made available to the student.


A student may cancel or waive the insurance at the beginning of each semester if he or she is covered by private insurance by submitting a completed Student Insurance Waiver form to the Accounting Office or on the web before the deadline.


Insurance Coverage Period

Students and their dependents will be covered from the beginning of the enrollment period until the insurance is waived or cancelled (see above).This coverage continues through the semester off-track breaks from school as long as the break is not longer than one semester. Payment is due at the beginning of the semester of the absence.


Student Health Plan Insurance Coverage

The BYU-Idaho Student Health Plan requires that the student or spouse first go to the Student Health Center (SHC).The low cost of the insurance is due to the use of the Student Health Center.If the SHC is unable to care for the patient, the insured student or spouse will be given a referral to a local physician, the student must then get preauthorization from DMBA (1-800-777-3622) before visiting the doctor.


If the SHC is closed and an emergency occurs, the student or spouse may go to the Community Care Center on Main Street (Co-payment $25) or to the Madison memorial Hospital emergency room (Co-payment $50).If follow-up visits are required, the student or spouse should first contact DMBA insurance company for authorization before receiving additional care outside of the SHC.


The Student Health Center is not equipped to provide care for children.Therefore, children should be taken directly to an outside physician and no referral is required.


Insurance covers eighty percent of costs (with DMBA contracted providers) above the co-payable portion for each visit.The co-payment is $6 at the Student Health Center, $25 outside the Center with a referral and pre-authorization, $100 outside the Center without a referral and pre-authorization, and $200 per admission if hospitalized.Prescriptions and dental work are not included.However, all students receive a discount on all prescriptions purchased at the pharmacy in the Student Health Center.


Prescriptions and costs for visits to the Student Health Center not covered by this insurance may be charged to the studentís personal account at the University.Payment is due the end of the month following the visit or charge.Students not covered under the student insurance are responsible to submit any claims to their insurance company.